Answer the following questions in
detail:
To what extent do you agree with the
representations on the map? (give an example)
I do not entirely agree with the representations on the map. These representations are just the biased and stereotypical version of these countries. For example, it is true that there are people who have an 'obsession with sport', however, this does not apply for every Australian. There are some countries where I agree more than the other, such as France. It is true that it is a place for romance and that they possess a degree of sophistication. However, once again, this is just a label.
Do you find this amusing, helpful or
outrageous? (Give reasons for your response)
What do you think about the comments
about Australia? If you were asked to provide evidence of this what
would you say?
I think the comments made about Australia is true to a level but does not apply for every Australian. Not everyone is 'direct' or have an 'obsession with sport'. If I were asked to provide evidence of this, I would say, "Just get to know more Australians and see for yourself."
How accurate is the title ‘Prejudice
Map’? Or should it be called ‘ Stereotypes Map’? What is the difference between
these two words?
The title, 'Prejudice Map' is more accurate for 'outsiders' rather than the natives. The difference between 'prejudice' and 'stereotypes' is that prejudice is when you judge or assume things about another person based on no reason or experience, whereas stereotype is when people judge you and classify you as a group.
Look at this map of Australia and answer the questions below:
1.
Do you think that this is an accurate
representation of Australia? Explain your reasons
I think that this is not an accurate representation of
Australia as all the labels are negative and is disrespecting the nation.
Australia is represented as a very dangerous place when it is actually not.
2.
Who do you think may have drawn up this map?
What do you think their knowledge of Australia is like?
I think someone who is incredibly prejudiced would have
drawn this map. I think their knowledge of Australia is low.
3.
As an Australian with an inside knowledge of the
country select three areas (e.g. Sharks, Steve Irwin and Man eating koalas) and
change them to a more accurate representation.
DERANGED GUNMEN – TASMANIAN DEVILS
SHARKS/MOSQUITOS – GOLDEN BEACHES
NOTHING – ULURU
No comments:
Post a Comment