Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Journal Entry - Choosing Names


Imagine that you are one of your ancestors (parents/grandparents) choosing your name. Write a journal entry where you go through the thought process of choosing your name.

Think about:
Why this name?
Why not others?
What are your hopes about the name?
How will it shape you?


Tuesday, 16th April

In two weeks time I will be giving birth to our first child. I'm anxious but so excited! I remember five months ago Matt and I began deciding on names for our baby girl. Now I'm due in two weeks and we sitll haven't chosen a name! Time flies by so fast. Matt and I definitely want a meaningful name for our baby. But recently he's been too busy with work so I've been thinking up with most of the names we could choose from. Lately I've been contemplating on names based on virtues, like Hope and Faith. I really like Faith. It's a beautiful name and I would choose it over Hope because it feels like Faith emphasises hope in a much deeper sense, even though they pretty much mean the same thing. I think Faith is also a perfect name because faith is one of the most important virtues to have in life. Without faith in yourself, in your loved ones and in anything you do, you will not succeed. Faith is what keeps motivated. I think Matt will like this name too. And I know for a fact that he knows how important it is to have faith. I mean, that's how we got together in the first place. If he had no faith in himself to ask me out in the first place, we would never have dated. If we had no faith in our relationship and to committ to each other, we would not have been married. Faith has brought us together and it is faith that allowed us to give birth to the wonderful existence of our soon-to-be-born baby. So I guess that summarises why I want to name our child Faith. I hope and know that as long as she has faith then life will be even more meaningful for her. Even though names do not define a person, I think it always influences an individual's personality in one way or another. Well, I sure hope so for our baby girl. Once she's old enough to understand, I'll explain the meaning of her name and hopefully she can actually become a 'Faith'. So, I guess Faith it is! Now I just have to tell Matt this great news as soon as he gets back from work. Hope he'll like it. I think he will :) Yay! 

Victoria Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment